Market Modelling Analyst
Job no: 47813
Work type: Full Time - Flexible
Location: VIC - Melbourne CBD
Categories: Energy Trading, Technical and Operations, VIC - Melbourne CBD
About the Role
The Modelling Analyst is responsible for the development of sophisticated models and tools to support Wholesale Markets and other AGL stakeholders. This includes modelling of supply/demand, pricing and mid to long term operational strategies across all fuels and domains that AGL operates in. The Modelling Analyst will also be responsible for the research, synthesis, and communication of wider market trends relevant to AGL’s wholesale operations. This role in concert with the newly created Portfolio Growth team delivers the insights that drives the market leading strategic direction and decision-making processes in AGL.
- Develop and maintain sophisticated models and tools to undertake analysis in the markets in which AGL operates. This includes quantification of the fundamental inputs in each market, understanding of the underlying dynamics and AGL’s place in each market.
- Identify and assist in developing opportunities for growth in the AGL portfolio by providing high-quality modelling of markets and AGL’s position therein.
- Research and communicate wider market trends and communicate to relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare reports and/or presentations that document the analysis and/or the research conducted.
- Suggest and implement improvements and/or develop new ideas in modelling markets.
- Effectively engage stakeholders in order to provide timely information in regard to expected market outcomes and scenarios.
- Build models that can be used to create trading and optimisation systems for various fuels, which will allow trading and optimisation of positions in the mid to long term.
- A tertiary qualification in a quantitative discipline preferred (e.g. Operations Research, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, Physical Science, Econometrics).
- Experience within an energy trading company in a relevant area is desirable. Mathematical modelling experience in another field in modelling/optimisation will also be considered.
- Proven ability to understand complex problems and design innovative solutions.
- Competence with R/Python/Matlab or similar language highly desirable. Competence in SQL query writing highly desirable
- Creative/Imaginative skills: The ability to see linkages between apparently unrelated matters.
- Intellectual curiosity: Ability to develop and deploy new or unusual or creative approaches to problem solving. A desire for continual learning and development.
What’s in it for you?
You’ll be working in an A-grade building with state of the art activity based working facilities. Being supported by our new flexible ways of working. We call it Smarter Working.
You’ll get the opportunity to work with some of the most engaged and innovative in the business. Being exposed to more opportunities to advance your skills and career.
Working in a company the size of ours the sky’s the limit for your career aspirations and we’re focused on investing in you.
It truly is an exciting time to be part of AGL Energy as we lead the way in generating sustainable energy solutions for all Australians. With a heritage of over 175 years and listed in the top 50 companies on the ASX, AGL offers a genuinely diverse, safe and supportive work environment, where "actions not words" fosters a culture of achievement and personal development.
How to Apply
Come with us on a journey of exploration and creativity, doing the same things differently, better, faster by encompassing innovation and passion for a more sustainable world.
Apply now to the AGL Careers team via the online application link. For a confidential discussion, please call Edith Chan on 03 8633 6575 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For all applications, please apply via the link provided.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now