Physical Markets Trader
Job no: 497466
Work type: Full time
Location: VIC - Melbourne CBD
Categories: Energy Trading, VIC - Melbourne CBD
About the Role
AGL’s Wholesale Markets business group is responsible for managing AGL’s wholesale electricity, gas and environmental product volume and price risks, through commercial management of the gas and generation portfolio, and the use of financial instruments such as primary and derivative contracts.
We currently have an exciting permanent opportunity for a Physical Markets Trader to join Wholesale Markets. The primary purpose of the Physical Markets Trader is to plan, analyse and execute trading strategies to optimise AGL’s substantial position across the National Electricity Market (NEM) and the South Australian, Victorian, Western Australian, NSW/ACT and Queensland gas markets.
The Physical Markets Trader is responsible for managing AGL’s wholesale gas and electricity procurement costs through the commercial operation of AGL’s generation assets and gas portfolio.
- Set gas pricing strategies, and perform trading activities to optimise AGL’s wholesale gas portfolio
- Manage nominations for gas supply and haulage with counterparties, taking into consideration ongoing contractual limits, imbalances and relevant deadlines and procedures
- Transact gas commodity and haulage spot deals with counterparties across the gas markets
- Provide real time direction to AGL’s gas production and storage facilitates and manage outage scheduling with the sites
- Ensure the business is compliant with market rules by keeping up to date with changes in gas and electricity market rules and the impact on AGL Wholesale Markets
- Tertiary qualified in a quantitative discipline
- Has or willing to obtain, Australian Financial Markets Association (AFMA) accreditation
- An understanding of the National Electricity and Gas Markets, and may already have energy trading experience
- Comfortable with data, an effective communicator, and has the ability to work closely with a range of stakeholders including discussing your trading decisions with others in your team
- This role does require you to be flexible with your working hours as there is an ‘on call’ overnight and weekend component
What’s in it for you?
You’ll be working in an A-grade building with state of the art activity based working facilities. Being supported by our new flexible ways of working. We call it Smarter Working.
You’ll get the opportunity to work with some of the most engaged and innovative in the business. Being exposed to more opportunities to advance your skills and career.
Working in a company the size of ours the sky’s the limit for your career aspirations and we’re focused on investing in you.
It truly is an exciting time to be part of AGL Energy as we lead the way in generating sustainable energy solutions for all Australians. With a heritage of over 175 years and listed in the top 50 companies on the ASX, AGL offers a genuinely diverse, safe and supportive work environment, where "actions not words" fosters a culture of achievement and personal development.
How to Apply
Come with us on a journey of exploration and creativity, doing the same things differently, better, faster by encompassing innovation and passion for a more sustainable world.
Apply now to the AGL Careers team via the online application link.
For a confidential discussion, please call Laura Sharpe 03 8633 7430.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now